Fight Night in Hua Hin and a Rematch with Nong Ning

On May 31st, a group of us from Master Toddy’s went to fight in Hua Hin at Cong Carter Muay Thai. Some of us had previously fought there in December last year, when I fought Nong Ning Palapon. Cong Carter is a relatively new gym in Hua Hin which is run by a rather lovely Danish guy called Nick. That was his first fight night, and he had invited us back for the second one, specifically asking me to fight one of his girls. I was due to fight Pennapa, a student at Cong Carter. However, a week before the fight, she pulled out. It was disappointing, since I thought it was going to be a good match. Pennapa is exactly the same height and weight as me, which is not something that I come across very often. However, having opponents pull out or cancel just before a fight is something that I’m used to. In fact, I almost expect it. Plus, as long as they could get me an opponent, I was happy.

That weekend, we drove to Hua Hin for a day trip. We ended up doing various activities there, including kicking banana trees, visiting a salt farm and fishing. While we were there, we decided to visit Cong Carter so that Master Toddy could meet Nick and confirm our matches for the following weekend. Upon arrival, Pennapa approached me and introduced herself. She seemed very nice, and explained that she wasn’t able to take the fight at that point. She had previously lived in England, so spoke English very well. In fact, she’d had her first fight there. We chatted for a while and laughed about how I was an English girl fighting in Thailand, while she was a Thai girl who went to fight in England. Afterwards, Nick told me that he would arrange for us to fight in three months time, which we agreed on. So, I have that to look forward to. He also told me that he had arranged a new opponent for me, Kwankaw Palangpimut. Funnily enough, I had been watching one of Kwankaw’s fights online the previous night. I started to take notice of her after seeing her fight a couple of times at MBK Fight Night and liking her style. In fact, I’d previously shared a photo of her on the Under the ropes Facebook page, where she was kissing her opponent as they touched gloves. It seems that this is her thing, as she does it in every fight. She had been very active and had just won the Bantamweight title belt at MBK the week prior (video here), although upon calling her manager, we were told that she hasn’t fought for a long time. Again, this is fairly normal in Thailand, so didn’t bother us too much.


On the day that we visited Cong Carter, the coup had only just been announced and a curfew was in place from 10pm until 5am. This meant that we had to get on the road back to Bangkok early enough to get back in time. As it happened, we weren’t able to do that, and found ourselves staying there for much longer than we had planned. Nick was very quick to offer us some rooms for the night, which was very kind of him. So, we ended up staying the night there, sleeping at our opponent’s gym. It sounds funny, but everyone there was so lovely that it wasn’t an issue at all. They even cooked us dinner as well as breakfast the following morning.


Chatting with Nick at Cong Carter, who put us up for the night.

Eventually, my opponent changed another time before the actual fight, and it was confirmed that I would be fighting Nong Ning, who I had fought five months prior and beaten by KO in the second round. They said that she had come a long way since then, had actually just fought Kwankaw, and was looking for a rematch with me. So, that”s how it ended up.

The Fight Night

On Saturday 31st of May, it was fight day. We all headed to Hua Hin in two vans; one for the fighters and one for everyone who was coming to support. One of the people in the second van was Jacqui Bogart, who I wrote about in my previous post, ‘The Joys of Having a Female Training Partner: Part 2’. Jacqui is an active fighter from the UK who was on holiday in Thailand and looking to fight. Originally, it was intended that she would fight on that night, but they were unable to find her an opponent in time. That left me and two other guys fighting; Tu Warren and Colton Bird.

We found that the curfew wasn’t really implemented in Hua Hin, although it was still in place in Bangkok, which meant that we had to fight early in order to get back home in time. So, we left the gym at 12pm, arriving at Cong Carter in the afternoon and planned to rest there for a couple of hours until the fights started. I got up, ate a big breakfast, got my hair braided and got on the road.

2014-05-31 10.42.48


Jacqui’s Impromptu Fight

When we arrived at the gym, it was still quite early and they were just setting everything up, so we headed to a room at the back to relax. Those who had come to watch cracked open a few beers and got started early, including Jacqui. During that time, Gaichon, a Thai guy who was Tu’s opponent, walked in and said in Thai ‘her opponent has arrived already’, pointing at Jacqui. No one else had noticed, so I looked around to see another Thai girl, who wasn’t Nong Ning. I knew that there were no other female bouts on the card, so it could only have been Jacqui’s opponent. Neither Master Toddy or Jacqui had been informed that she had a match, so to our knowledge, she wasn’t fighting. This meant that she hadn’t prepared. The previous day, she had done two training sessions and gone out that night, and she hadn’t brought any gear with her. I calmly let Jacqui know that she did, in fact, have a fight, and that she didn’t have to take it, although if she did, she could borrow my clothes. Of course, she rose to the occasion and wanted to grab the opportunity with both hands. With that, she braided her hair and got herself ready to fight, and it turned out that hers was the first fight of the night, which gave her very little time. We had some extra shorts that she could wear, but she was still without a mouthguard or sports bra. So, I gave her my sports bra and informed Nick that we would need time in between fights to change, as I’d have to wear it after her. She looked through the bag of gear that the trainers had brought from the gym, and luckily, found a mouthguard, albeit a used one.

Only now, as I’m writing this, have I realised where that mouthguard came from. In March last year, my trainer and I had the unfortunate experience of unexpectedly having my trainer put another person’s mouthguard in my mouth before a fight, after misplacing mine. I wrote about this in a previous post, ‘Awkward Muay Thai Moments: An Unfamiliar Mouthguard‘. I had assumed that mine was never to be seen again, but have now come to the realisation that Jacqui had used the very same bright pink mouthguard that I had lost, which must have been at the bottom of that bag the whole time. So, in one week, Jacqui and I had gone from meeting for the first time to sharing bras and mouthguards. Her willingness to just jump in the ring on almost no notice, regardless of any setbacks, was quite admirable.


Jacqui prepping to fight

It all happened very quickly for Jacqui, as the time between her finding out about her fight and getting out of the ring afterwards was less than two hours. She dominated the fight from the first bell, and by halfway through the second round, had reduced her opponent to tears. The referee stopped the fight there.

Tu’s Fight

After Jacqui, Tu was up. Tu has been living in Thailand for around a year, fighting a under a different gym (you can follow his Facebook page here). He had originally come to Master Toddy’s when he first arrived in Thailand, but changed gyms shortly after. He had been fighting on big promotions like Thai Fight and the Toyota Marathon as well as the opening show at the new Lumpini Stadium, before deciding to return to Master Toddy’s. Since then, he and Master Toddy had been working together tirelessly, and this was to be his first fight back with us. He went up against Gaichon of Cong Carter Gym, a Thai with over 200 fights who had previously fought one of our trainers, Kru Singh. This fight meant a lot both to Tu and to Master Toddy. I was only able to half-watch the fight as I was getting ready for my own, but it ended up going the full five rounds, after which Tu took the decision. It was a happy moment for all of us.


Master Toddy in Tu’s corner

Colton’s Fight

The last of the others to fight was Colton. Colton is here for three months to train, fight and visit his brother, who has been training with us long-term. This was his first Muay Thai fight, which is quite incredible when you consider how it went. He went up against Mathius, one of Cong Carter’s fighters, and it was a real battle. Colton put Mathius down twice in the first round with overhand right punches, but he recovered and gave Colton a hard time in doing so. After the first two rounds, Colton already had a swollen left leg and a right eye, and as the fight progressed, he ended up with some huge cuts – three in total. Neither fighter backed down or stepped back an inch, and it was incredibly tense to watch. Blood was flowing profusely, so much so that it was hard to tell which fighter it was coming from. After the fourth round, Colton inadvertently sprayed me and a couple of other people with blood, while his opponent spat more of his own onto the canvas. The fifth round was just as tense, but Colton managed to take the win by decision. It was a really remarkable first fight for him and a huge show of heart from both fighters.


My Fight

After fighting Nong Ning previously, I was wary of two things: firstly, I knew that it would be difficult to clinch with her, as she had caused me problems with that in our first fight. Secondly, she is very effective with front kicks and I had kept me out with those last time. I knew that after losing by KO previously, she would have something to prove, and she did. The very first thing that she threw at me was a right head kick, and they kept coming. That was new for me. I don’t know if I was thrown off by that, but I didn’t seem myself for the entirety of this fight. Things just weren’t coming to me as they usually would, as if I had some kind of mental block that was stopping my body from doing everything that it had been trained to do. It was almost like having my first fight all over again. Instead of stepping off, moving and countering, I planted myself in front of her. Instead of clamping down, turning and kneeing in the clinch, I just clung on. I almost felt lost. What the fuck was happening? This is something you expect to experience in your first fights, so I couldn’t understand why I was experiencing it at that point. The fight went the full five rounds and although I realised what was happening to me early on, I wasn’t able to pull it out before the end of the fight, which meant that Nong Ning won by decision.

2014-05-31 21.51.36

Nong Ning and I after the fight

Immediately after the fight, the left side of my head started to swell. Those head kicks had taken effect. It quickly progressed into bruising and the following day, I woke up with quite the shiner. I had to go to work the following morning, something that I always do after a fight. I certainly received some concerned looks from my students that day, but they are all aware that I’m a fighter, so they knew that it was the result of some Muay Thai-related activity and not an abusive boyfriend, which saved me from having to explain too much!

2014-06-01 10.41.29

What happens from here

I felt like I had taken ten steps back with this fight. This was frustrating and upsetting, but it forced me to look more deeply into why I experienced that mental block and has therefore presented me with an opportunity to improve myself by learning how to avoid or get past it in the future. I have decided to separate my thoughts on this into a new post altogether so that I can go into detail. Edit: You can read that post here – Letting Go but Staying in Control: How Mental Training Enhanced my Confidence.

While my fight didn’t go as I had planned to say the least, the night was a great success for the team overall. Everyone had performed exceptionally well and I was really proud of them. I left with some things to chew on (as well as a black eye), but there’s always progression in that, or at least, the potential for it. Even if I had felt like I’d gone backwards in the fight itself, I know that there was progress made in training, it just didn’t come with me this time. That fact doesn’t devalue the work I’d been putting in or the developments that had been made in the gym; it just means that as always, there is more work to be done. That is one of the things that is most addictive about Muay Thai; there is always more to learn and further to go. I have a long road ahead of me, but I’m on my way.

My follow-up post, Letting Go but Staying in Control: How Mental Training Enhanced my Confidence‘.



3 thoughts on “Fight Night in Hua Hin and a Rematch with Nong Ning

  1. Pingback: The Queen’s Cup: One Year of Under the Ropes and the Power of Connection | Under The Ropes

  2. Pingback: vs. Nong Kung Chor. Akekunsurk at Grand Thai Boxing Stadium, Hua Hin, 10th September 2014 | Under The Ropes

  3. Pingback: Letting Go but Staying in Control: How Mental Training Enhanced my Confidence | Under The Ropes

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s